Sometimes you just have to say no. But how do you say no to the delicious perfection that is pizza?? You could walk away from that slice (or three – let’s be honest) OR you could make low-carb bell pepper pizza!
Serving size: 6
What you’ll need:
- 6 bell peppers (choose your favorite color or mix and match like me)
- 1 package ground turkey
- 5 oz. pepperoni
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 32 oz. pizza sauce
- 1 cup whipped cream cheese
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 375° F
- Wash bell peppers and slice vertically down the middle. Remove seeds.
- Cook onions with olive oil until translucent
- Add ground turkey, salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper. Cook thoroughly, until no pink remains.
- Take half of the contents from the pepperoni packet and chop finely. Add to ground turkey.
- Add pizza sauce to the ground tukey-pepperoni mixture and bring to a simmer on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Take a baking sheet and line with parchment paper (you’ll thank me during the clean up later)
- Spoon the ground turkey-pepperoni mixture into the bell pepper halves
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Meanwhile, mix the shredded mozzarella with the whipped cream cheese
- Remove bell pepper cups from the oven and add dollops of the mozzarella and cream cheese mixture. Finish with remaining pepperoni slices. (Tip: Slice pepperoni toppings in halves to cut back on calories)
- Bake for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese melts